Sunday, 1 September 2013

Too early for Christmas? (Fruit liqueur and Christmas cake)


Today being the first of September I have started my cooking for Christmas. This is the first time in a few years I have been able to make my own Christmas cake since I am unable to stir the mix due to my arthritus.  As James is moving to live here in less than a forthnight I'll have someone to do the stirring of the cake mix for me.

I like to soak the fruit for the Christmas cake for 2 1/2 months before baking.  I have weighed out the fruit (just under 2lb of raisins, peel and sultanas) and put them into a rumtopf.  I then threw in 70cl of brandy.I didn't drink any - honest.



I stir the fruit/brandy on a daily basis for a fortnight and then just once per week until mid November.  After the first fortnight I'll be adding another 35cl of brandy.  It is a lot of brandy I know, but I make good use of it.  When it comes time to bake the cake I drain the brandy through a sieve into a large container.  I then set up a jelly bag and pour the liquid through that.  This step means that all the little bits have been removed from the liquid.  I then pour the liquid into a decorative bottle and store it until December.


The plain brandy turns into a fairly potent and fruity liqueur. The perfect after dinner tipple for the winter months.

I'll do a full post just for the fruit liqueur and show you the results in a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment