I decided
to go all Heston Blumenthal experimental this evening. From my disaster the other day I still had
some lemon juice and the zest of one lemon to use up. I thought I’d make some lemon biscuits. Though having checked the recipe I was going
to amend it only called for ½ tsp of liquid and I did not feel that was enough
to flavour the biscuits to make them taste really lemony. So my problem was how to get more lemon flavour
into the biscuits.
I hunted
round the internet and found nothing that was of any help. So making a vain attempt to think logically
about this I decided I needed a lemon concentrate. But how could I make a concentrate? I decided a concentrate was something that
had the water taken out. How could I do
this to lemon juice? By boiling it.
Makes about 70 individual biscuits or 35 if
sandwiched together
Equipment – Biscuit press
Ingredients:
1 lemon
8 oz butter soft butter
2 1/4 oz icing sugar
7 oz plain flour
2 ¼ oz cornflour
Filling:
3 tbsp cream cheese
3 tbsp cream cheese
8 oz icing sugar
1 – 2 tbsp Lemon curd
1 tbsp lemon juice
Temp 175 degrees C
Tips:
- Put baking tray in fridge to cool before mix dough
- Between batches wash and dry baking tray and place in freezer for about 5 minutes.
- Any biscuits that do not press correctly pick up and add back into spare dough
- After each loading of the press do a couple of practice presses straight into bowl with dough in and then scrap excess dough from bottom of press with spatula.
- Recommended you watch a couple of the 'How to use a cookie press' videos on Youtube
Directions:
Here’s the Heston bit………Home-made lemon concentrate
- Zest the lemon and put the zest to one side
- Cut the lemon in half and extract the juice.
- Put 10 tsps of lemon juice into a small non-stick saucepan and bring to a fast boil.
- Keep gently tilting the juice until you have about 1 tsp of liquid left – this will only take a minute or 2.
- Remove from heat – keeping pan slightly tilted so all the juice goes down to one corner
- Use silicone spatula to scrap all reside down to the juice.
- Put the pan with the juice in to one side – keeping it tilted.
Note: Do not be concerned if it
is a sticky mess when you go to put it in the biscuits – all the lumps and
stickiness disappear.
The
biscuits
1. Using electric hand held mixer
cream butter until smooth and paler in colour.
2. Add sugar and lemon concentrate
and mix until smooth.
3. Sift together flour and
cornflour, add to mix and mix well.
4. Add lemon zest and combine again.
5. Put some dough in biscuit press,
choose design.
6. Press biscuits directly onto
cooled baking tray.
7. Bake for 7-8 minutes.
8. Cool fully on cooling rack before
putting the biscuits together.
So, the
biscuits have been cooked and cooled I have had a couple of cups of coffee to
cleanse my palate from all the biscuit dough I ate. I am ready to try a biscuit to see if my
experimentation has worked.
I am very
pleased they have a delightful fresh, but subtle lemony flavour.
So now
what? Well I still have the cream cheese
left over from the other nights disaster.
Let’s experiment with the filling.
Filling
- Add all the ingredients together and mix until smooth.
Putting together.
- Place half of the biscuits on a large tray upside down.
- Holding one of the biscuits upside down put on some of the filling repeat with all the biscuits on the tray. Then sandwich all the biscuits together using the other half of the biscuits.
I tried them out on the food delivery van man to night. I gave him one, which he promptly ate and asked for a couple more to take away with him. So I say these are a success.
I love lemon in absolutely everything, these really do look delicious, Clare :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Abbe. They went down very well at work. They ate the lot. the biscuit mix is incredibly light and melts in the mouth - very popular. these and the raspberry clouds that use the same mix always get lots of thumbs ups.
ReplyDelete